Some people don't take hints very well. Admittedly, I suspect, or rather know, this is partly my fault, but seriously. So, I went on one date with a guy. He keeps coming into the store when he knows I'll be there and I'm fairly icy him, don't look him in the eye, don't answer his texts and come up with lots of reasons I can't hang out with him. Yet, he still texts me and asks if I want to hang out. Someone asked me what was wrong with him. Nothing. Nothing's wrong with him. He's just not my type. I'll give you an example of what I mean.
(parts of a conversation I don't really remember)..."and you die."
"And then what?"
"What?"
"After you die, and then what?"
"You're dead. That's the end."
"So, you don't believe in an afterlife?"
"I think it's a bunch of hooey. I think people made up an afterlife to comfort themselves. People can't deal with the idea of the cessation of their existence, so they made up an after life to make themselves feel better. I think that once you're dead, you're dead. That's the end."
"Yeah, many people do have trouble with that." I give him time to make another remark, but he doesn't, so I continue.
"I think that each person's life is inherently insignificant. A million years from now, no one will care about what you did or even remember it. There many not even be anyone here at all. People made up an afterlife to deal with their own insignificance."
"Yeah, as for me, I just don't know. I figure I'll find out when I'm dead. What are you doing tonight?"
"Sleeping."
In other news, apparently you can get arrested in the UK for being too loud during sex.
A New Zealand Olympic-hopeful has opened a brothel to fund his Olympic dreams and relieve the financial strain from his parents. (Prostitution is became legal in NZ in 2003 and brothels are allowed to operate under the same health and safety regulations as every other business and must be registered.) Sadly, NZ Olympic officials said this will count against him in the selection process since Olympians are supposed to not only be outstanding athletes, but also role models for the young people in the country. Apparently, the officials think that owning a legal brothel constitutes being a bad example. Way to impose your conservative morals on the rest of the planet.
Honduras's ousted president, Manuel Zelaya, and interim leader, Roberto Micheletti, have agreed to peace talks. This may prove to be fruitless though since Zelaya has said that his reinstatement as president is "non-negotiable" and Micheletti has referred to his return to power as an impossibility. Hopefully someone will prove flexible and concede something. From the sounds of things, to avoid a conflict, it may have to be Zelaya since most of the government and much of the country, although by no means most, support Micheletti. Certainly, there are some who support Zelaya in the country, as there are many who oppose him. There have been many demonstrations both for and against Zelaya since the coup there two weeks ago. Costa Rican President, and 1987 Nobel Prize winner, Oscar Arias is to mediate the peace talks, if they ever happen. Thus far, the only thing that happened was that each leader met with Arias, didn't see each other at all, and left delegates to do the negotiating for them. We'll have to wait and see what happens. In the mean time, here's a bit of background on the conflict. As a side note, I found it entertaining that chinaview.cn stated that Honduras's interim government has received no international recognition because it has, from Taiwan. Anyway, I found that funny.
Also, Dick Cheney sucks. But, hey, what else is new, right?
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment